Dozens of basketball hoops in the US city of New York are being taken down to curb the spread of the pandemic.
Mayor Bill de Blasio said they would be removed at 80 public courts where people were not respecting social-distancing measures. These ask people not to shoot around with anyone who is not a member of their households.
“There will not be any basketball games because there will not be any basketball hoops,” he said at a City Hall briefing on Wednesday evening.
The new measure leaves some 1,700 other courts still available.
On Wednesday, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo said the city would ban basketball and other contact sports in public parks, Reuters news agency reports.
As of Wednesday night, nearly 33,000 cases had been confirmed in New York, an increase of more than 7,000 from the day before, NBC reports. At least 366 people have died, it added.